Make-your-own Taco Bar
Makes 6 serving(s)
WHAT'S IN IT?
1 pound extra-lean or lean ground round
1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix (40% less sodium)
2/3 cup water (or the amount stated on the seasoning mix directions)
1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 large red, yellow or green bell pepper
4 green onions, sliced (green and white parts)
1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup salsa (hot, medium or mildyour choice!)
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 taco shells or soft taco-size (about 7-inch diameter) flour tortillas
STUFF YOU NEED
Large non-stick frying pan
Wooden cooking spoon or silicone spatula
Liquid measuring cup
Dry measuring cup
Liquid measuring cup
1 large bowl for the meat
10 small bowls
Serving platter for the taco shells or tortillas
HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER
- Add the ground round to a large, non-stick frying pan. Over medium-high heat, stir constantly with a wooden cooking spoon or silicone spatula for about 10 minutes or until the meat is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Drain off excess fat into the sink drain.
- For Kids: Sprinkle the taco seasoning mix onto the meat. Drip on all the water from a liquid measuring cup.
- Whirl around until mixed well. Reduce heat to low. Cook for another 4 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- For Kids: Prepare all the remaining fillings for the taco shells. From dry and liquid measuring cups, measure each filling into individual bowls.
- For Kids: Heat and crisp the taco shells (or flour tortillas) as directed on the package. The easiest and safest way is usually in the microwave on high for about almost 1 minute. Place warm shells (or flour tortillas) on a serving platter.
- Fill your own 2 taco shells with as few as 3 or 4 ingredients. Or, fill with all 11! Then, fill up your stomach!
WHY IT'S GOOD FOR YOU
Per serving (if you use every ingredient in taco shells!):
490 Calories, 24 g Total Fat, 8 g Saturated Fat, 70 mg Cholesterol, 1140 mg Sodium, 44 g Total Carbohydrates, 9 g Dietary Fiber, 6 g Sugars, 30 g Protein, 60% Vitamin A, 110% Vitamin C, 30% Calcium, 25% Iron
Per serving (if you use every ingredient in soft tortillas!):
520 Calories, 19 g Total Fat, 7 g Saturated Fat, 70 mg Cholesterol, 1020 mg Sodium, 56 g Total Carbohydrates, 9 g Dietary Fiber, 6 g Sugars, 36 g Protein, 50% Vitamin A, 110% Vitamin C, 25% Calcium, 20% Iron