Grilled Veggies on Sticks
Makes 4 serving(s)
WHAT'S IN IT?
2 –3 tablespoons Italian or vinaigrette salad dressing
1 medium yellow squash
1 medium zucchini squash
1 large green bell pepper or medium onion
1 large red bell pepper
STUFF YOU NEED
4 (10- or 12-inch) bamboo (wooden) skewers
9-inch x 13-inch pan
Liquid measuring cup
Brush (for food)
HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER
- For Kids: Drop the skewers into a 9-inch x 13-inch pan or dish. Cover the skewers with water. Let them swim for about an hour. (This is so they don't burn while being grilled!)
- Coat a grill rack with cooking spray. (Make sure you coat before lighting the grill to avoid flames.) Light grill.
- For Kids: Use the measuring spoons to measure the salad dressing into a liquid measuring cup.
- On a cutting board, chop all the vegetables into large, bite-size pieces with a cutting knife.
- For Kids: Thread vegetables, alternating them, onto skewers any way you wish. Put the skewers on a platter. Use the brush to "paint" the salad dressing all over the vegetables.
- Cook the Grilled Veggies on Sticks (about 6 inches above hot coals, if charcoal grill) for about 5 minutes. Turn the veggies with long tongs. Grill for another 5 minutes, or until squash is tender. (Alternatively, the veggie sticks may be grilled in a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat.) When ready, use tongs to remove the Grilled Veggies on Sticks from the grill.
- For Kids: Arrange on a clean platterwith the sticks, or without!
WHY IT'S GOOD FOR YOU
60 Calories, 4 g Total Fat, 0.5 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 60 mg Sodium, 6 g Total Carbohydrates, 2 g Dietary Fiber, 4 g Sugars, 1 g Protein, 20% Vitamin A, 80% Vitamin C, 2% Calcium, 2% Iron