Makes 8 serving(s)
WHAT'S IN IT?
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose, unbleached flour
1 (12 fluid ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 cups (11 ounces) cooked, diced turkey breast meat
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups leftover mashed potatoes*
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (optional)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 cups herb seasoned dry bread stuffing, finely crushed in blender
* TIP: If you don't have any leftover mashed potatoes, you can use instant mashed potatoes instead. Just follow the directions on the box for making 2 cups.
STUFF YOU NEED
This is a family recipe. Kids and Parents: you'll need each other to make it!
HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER
- For Kids: Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- To make Sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour and whisk until mixed. Very slowly whisk in evaporated milk, then season with salt, pepper and onion powder. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes; remove from heat.
- For Kids: Scatter turkey in a nonstick 9" round cake pan coated with nonstick spray.
- Pour the sauce over the turkey.
- For Kids: Sprinkle cheddar cheese and, if using, green onions, over the turkey and sauce.
- Dollop mashed potatoes over cheese by heaping tablespoons. Spread potatoes carefully with a rubber (or silicone) spatula so entire surface is covered.
- In a small bowl, stir melted butter into the crushed stuffing mix.
- For Kids: Sprinkle the stuffing mixture evenly over the top of the potatoes. Pat it down with your fingers. Be gentle!
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before scooping out portions
WHY IT'S GOOD FOR YOU
250 Calories, 10 g Total Fat, 6 g Saturated Fat, 40 mg Cholesterol, 1030 mg Sodium, 27 g Total Carbohydrates, 2 g Dietary Fiber, 8 g Sugars, 14 g Protein, 10% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 25% Calcium, 6% Iron