Family-Pleasing Cheesy Pasta Twists
Makes 6 serving(s)
WHAT'S IN IT?
1/2 (16-ounce) box cavatappi (elbow twists) or other pasta
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
STUFF YOU NEED
This is a family recipe. Kids and Parents: you'll need each other to make it!
HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER
- For Kids: Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, boiling for the maximum time suggested; drain. Evenly pour the drained pasta into a sprayed nonstick 9" x 13" baking pan. Set aside until the cheese sauce is finished.
- Prepare the Cheese Sauce. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the flour with 1/4 cup of the milk. Once thoroughly combined, pour in the remaining 1 cup of milk.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat.
- For Kids: Into the saucepan, gently drop in the butter and sprinkle in the salt, white pepper, nutmeg and red pepper.
- Whisk the sauce continuously. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes, while whisking continuously. Remove from heat.
- For Kids: Stir in the cheese until it's completely melted. The sauce will be smooth and orange.
- Pour the hot Cheese Sauce over the pasta. Stir it gently with a large spoon or fork.
- For Kids: Sprinkle the top of the cheese-coated pasta evenly with the bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the top is crisp and the sauce is bubbling.
WHY IT'S GOOD FOR YOU
330 Calories, 11 g Total Fat, 6 g Saturated Fat, 35 mg Cholesterol, 350 mg Sodium, 43 g Total Carbohydrates, 3 g Dietary Fiber, 4 g Sugars, 16 g Protein, 10% Vitamin A, 2% Vitamin C, 30% Calcium, 10% Iron