Nutty Banana Bread Squares
Makes 20 serving(s)
WHAT'S IN IT?
1/4 cup salted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large whole egg
2 large egg whites
2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large, very-ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
STUFF YOU NEED
This is a family recipe. Kids and Parents: you'll need each other to make it!
HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER
- For Kids: Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat well with an electric mixer the melted butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and egg whites; beat on high speed for 1 minute.
- For Kids: In a separate bowl, sift together with a sifter or through a fine mesh strainer the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Gently add the sifted dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Beat the batter on low speed, just until mixed.
- For Kids: Peel bananas and mash them with a potato masher in the empty bowl the flour mixture was in. Measure the vanilla extract and stir it into the mashed bananas. Pour the mashed banana mixture into the batter.
- Beat until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into the greased and floured baking pan.
- For Kids: Sprinkle walnuts all over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bread springs back. Let cool on cooling rack. Once cool, cut into 20 squares.
WHY IT'S GOOD FOR YOU
140 Calories, 4 g Total Fat, 1.5 g Saturated Fat, 20 mg Cholesterol, 125 mg Sodium, 25 g Total Carbohydrates, 1 g Dietary Fiber, 15 g Sugars, 3 g Protein, 2% Vitamin A, 4% Vitamin C, 0% Calcium, 4% Iron