French Toast with Tropical Fruit Salsa
Makes 4 serving(s)
WHAT'S IN IT?
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 slices whole wheat bread
Tropical Fruit Salsa
1 medium banana, halved
1 medium peach, unpeeled, quartered, pit removed
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Fresh mint leaves
STUFF YOU NEED
This is a family recipe. Kids and Parents: you'll need each other to make it!
HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER
- Crack eggs into a shallow pan or large, wide-bottomed bowl. While beating eggs with a whisk or large fork, add sugar, milk and vanilla extract.
- For Kids: Prepare the Tropical Fruit Salsa. In a blender container, toss in the banana halves, peach quarters and cinnamon. Blend on low speed for 30 seconds or until pureed. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- For Kids: While the pan is warming, dunk each piece of bread, one at a time, in the egg mixture until the bread has absorbed some of the liquid, but no longer than 30 seconds per slice.
- Spray the pan with butter-flavor cooking spray. Place soaked bread, in batches, in pan. Cook bread on each side for 4 to 5 minutes, or until crisped and golden brown, using a spatula to carefully flip the French Toast from one side to the other. Repeat the process for the remaining soaked bread slices.
- Serve each slice of French Toast topped with Tropical Fruit Salsa.
- For Kids: If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar through a sifter or fine mesh strainer and garnish with mint leaves.
WHY IT'S GOOD FOR YOU
260 Calories, 8 g Total Fat, 2 g Saturated Fat, 250 mg Cholesterol, 270 mg Sodium, 34 g Total Carbohydrates, 3 g Dietary Fiber, 20 g Sugars, 14 g Protein, 15% Vitamin A, 8% Vitamin C, 15% Calcium, 10% Iron